Full course description
Intended Audience: Restricted to Educators at Marshalltown CSD
This course will provide an opportunity for in-service teachers to explore and develop new ways to instruct students in writing and interpersonal speaking in the language classroom. With a focus on building students’ language proficiency, this asynchronous workshop will guide teachers in reflecting and setting goals and developing new practices and assessments.
Participants will be able to:
1. Reflect on their current practices with writing and speaking in the language classroom
2. Set goals for curriculum, materials, and activity development related to writing and speaking in their language classes.
3. Identify key components of rigorous writing and speaking tasks
4. Align their instruction of writing and speaking with the demands of common standardized language tests
5. Develop appropriate assessments for writing and speaking tasks
6. Establish an action plan for integrating new writing and speaking tasks in class
Participants must participate in five asynchronous modules between the dates of May 1 and June 5, 2020. Each module will be posted on Friday, and the tasks outlined in the module should be completed by the following Thursday. It is strongly encouraged that participants complete all assignments on a weekly basis. In order to earn one licensure renewal unit for the class, all work for all modules must be completed by June 5. See module descriptions posted in CANVAS for detail about weekly assignments.
All materials will be made available through a class CANVAS website.