Full course description
Intended Audience: Professional educators in PK-12 school systems
Course Description: This course has been designed to bring together education professionals across the state of Iowa to learn about the importance of social-emotional-behavioral health (SEBH), not only for our students, but for educators. We will work through topics that address the intersectionality of identities, which can shape the unique SEBH needs that an individual might be experiencing. We will discuss how to capitalize on existing systems to create a community of supports that will best meet the needs of our school communities. We will also teach specific strategies that will assist in the identification of, and support for SEBH.
- Help education professionals improve their understanding of the social, emotional, and behavioral health needs of diverse student/family populations.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of serious mental illness and emotional disturbance in students.
- Successfully identify and utilize SEBH school/community partners to support the SEBH needs of students.
- Understand personal SEBH needs and compassion fatigue and use strategies and resources to support a healthy personal and professional life.
- Attend all 8 webinars.
- Engage with the supporting materials found within the online course platform associated with this experience.
- Complete the interactive discussions found within the online “course” platform.
Course Materials: Internet access
Webinar Series Program:
- Webinar 1: Introduction to SEBH
- Webinar 2: Self-Analysis and Culturally Responsive/Inclusive Social-Emotional Behavioral Health
- Webinar 3: Teaching SEL Through PBIS
- Webinar 4: Selection and Implementation of school wide SEBH Curriculum
- Webinar 5: Preventing Compassion Fatigue: Engaging in Radical Self-Care
- Webinar 6: Connecting with Care: The intersectionality of identity and mental health
- Webinar 7: Trauma Informed SEL
- Webinar 8: Youth Suicide Prevention and Question-Persuade-Refer
** Attention: If you wish to use this course for licensure renewal credit, make sure to check with your school district for approval prior to registering for the course.