Full course description
ATTENTION: THIS COURSE IS BY INVITATION ONLY.
Course Dates: September 2020-May 2021
- Face-to-face sessions: None
- Online sessions to be completed: Oct 1, Nov 5, Jan 15, & three others TBA (March, April, May)
- Classroom visits to be arranged with teacher: first visit pre-sessions, second mid-program, third end-of-program
Intended Audience: Content area teachers from elementary schools in ICCSD and Williamsburg School District
Course Description: This professional development sequence is for content area teachers on supporting English Language Learners (ELs) in classroom instruction and assessment. The sequence will run over the course of the school year, with six sessions and three observation/debriefing visits. Four sessions will be 2.5 hour face-to-face meetings, and two sessions will be delivered online with the equivalent time commitment. The sessions will provide research-based content through interactive and contextualized sessions. The sessions will be anchored in 5e’s in EL content area instruction: engage, explore, explain, extend, and evaluate. Around these themes, the PD includes reading and vocabulary development, home language support, interaction and oral proficiency, family/community engagement, and assessment.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of professional development, students should be able to:
- Identify effective strategies for providing home language support and engaging with ELLs family/community
- Deliver and facilitate ELLs content learning through guided reading and listening, visuals/video/demonstrations, structured pairing, graphic organizers & writing, oral proficiency development, and vocabulary development
- Develop formative, in-class assessments, and use the results to help evaluate ELL acquisition of content.
- Connect ACCEL PD to related support approaches for ELLs such as ELP Standards and Sheltered Instruction (SIOP)
- Implement classroom instruction that engages ELs to explore content through explanation and extension. · Leverage the linguistic and cultural resources that ELLs students bring to schools to benefit the teaching of all students.
- Leverage the linguistic and cultural resources that ELLs students bring to schools to benefit the teaching of all students.
Course Requirements: The course requires attendance for four 2.5 hour Zoom sessions, completion of 2 asynchronous online modules each with 2 hours of content and activities, and 3 classroom observation visits with debriefing (approximately one hour for each visit).
Course Materials: Materials for the course will be available online and in class. Instructions for accessing this course will be e-mailed to participants on or before the scheduled start date. If you don’t receive this e-mail at least a week before the start date, please contact the instructor.
Sequence and Plan of Study: (1) Pre-program observation/debriefing. Classroom visit from ACCEL staff to do needs analysis and meet participants. Pre-program survey completed. (2) Introduction to EL engagement. Opportunity for and with ELs, home language support, review of ELP Standards and SIOP (3) Exploring, explaining & extending content I. Vocabulary development, pre-reading, guided reading, enhancing reading content. (4) Mid-program observation/debriefing. Classroom visit from ACCEL staff to provide support and formative guidance (5) Exploring, explaining & extending content II. Graphic organizers, media, demonstrations, application of enhancing content (6) Engaging ELs in interaction. Oral proficiency, structured pairing, scaffolded discussions (7) Evaluating ELs. Formative and summative assessment of ELs for content learning. (8) Post-program observation/debrief. Classroom visit from ACCEL staff to provide final support and formative guidance. Evaluation of program. Post program-survey completed